tigerbeatpoet, xo

what i listen to on the way there and in between

Monday, March 03, 2008

Man, that Top Ten Rap Songs That White People Like got under my skin... I mean, I'm not really irritated, but maybe I have just had a different experience with Rap music. I've always had a sponge-like, obsessive desire to learn about music. My first introduction to Rap was at my friend Tracy's house when I was in the fifth or sixth grade and we used to listen to NWA before we walked to grade school together.

We lived on a block behind a K-Mart in the Northern Suburbs, I went through a brief period of shoplifting where I stuck mostly to Silly String and candy from the Tom Thumb up the block. Good times, good times... We ended up moving and my Rap connection was severed, and I fell in love with Wilson Phillips or Belinda Carlisle or something freakish like that. Anyways, I guess I just wanted to keep posting YouTube videos and I am super excited because I think I just landed my coolest interview to DATE. So - enjoy the videos, ok?

Local Rapper M.anifest - video from the Best New Bands show at First Ave a couple months back - you can probably hear me screaming on this...



Muja Messiah - Amy Winehouse



Brother Ali - Forest Whitiker (live)



Talib Kweli - Never Been in Love




Boogie Down Productions - South Bronx
(yes i realise it's just the album cover for the entire thing, just listen!)



Tribe Called Quest - Scenario



And the joint that makes me go to my happy place...

Ice Cube - Today Was A Good Day

2 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it - I think yuur over reacting a little bit, no? What gives, rapsers aren't even that good - anyone can do it, like me - even?

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger jon jon said...

ay yo'everytime I read someone dissing rap, it makes me love it mo'..and your list is excellent, no emo-cry babies, PM Dawn feel goodness or silly PC rap. Any list with Ice Cube, Tribe,BDP alongside Brother Ali, Muja Messiah & Manifest is right by me.

word/up

 

Post a Comment

<< Home